Dubai is one of the most dynamic cities in the world when it comes to embracing new technology. As such, e-scooters have become increasingly popular in Dubai, and many people are now considering buying one. However, before you can ride an e-scooter in Dubai, you need to obtain a license. In this article, we will discuss how to get a license for an e-scooter in Dubai.
Is a license mandatory for e-scooter in Dubai?
Yes, a license is mandatory for riding an e-scooter in Dubai. The license ensures that you are aware of the rules and regulations for riding an e-scooter in the city and helps to prevent accidents and injuries.
How can one obtain a license for e-scooter in Dubai?
To obtain a license for an e-scooter in Dubai, you need to follow these steps:
- Attend a training session: The first step is to attend a training session at an approved training center. During the training session, you will learn the rules and regulations for riding an e-scooter in Dubai, including how to ride safely, how to obey traffic laws, and how to navigate the city’s roads.
- Take a test: After completing the training session, you will need to take a test to demonstrate that you have understood the rules and regulations for riding an e-scooter in Dubai. The test includes both a written and practical component, and you will need to pass both to obtain your license.
- Obtain a medical certificate: You will also need to obtain a medical certificate from an approved healthcare provider, certifying that you are fit to ride an e-scooter.
- Apply for the license: Once you have completed the training, passed the test, and obtained a medical certificate, you can apply for your e-scooter license at the Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) office.
What are the rules for electric scooters in Dubai?
The following are the rules for electric scooters in Dubai:
- License Requirement: It is mandatory to have a license to ride an electric scooter in Dubai. The license can be obtained from the Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) after attending a training session, passing a written and practical test, obtaining a medical certificate, and meeting other eligibility criteria.
- Age Limit: Riders must be at least 16 years old to ride an electric scooter in Dubai.
- Safety Gear: Riders must wear a helmet and other safety gear, including knee and elbow pads, while riding an electric scooter.
- Speed Limit: The speed limit for electric scooters in Dubai is 25 km/h. Riders should not exceed this limit.
- Riding Locations: Electric scooters can only be ridden on designated tracks, cycling paths, or shared paths. Riding on pedestrian sidewalks, highways, or other restricted areas is prohibited.
- Insurance: Riders must have insurance coverage for their electric scooters.
- Inspection Checks: Electric scooters must undergo inspection checks to ensure that they meet the safety standards set by the RTA.
Following these rules is important to ensure the safety of riders and other pedestrians, as well as to avoid fines or penalties for violating the regulations.
What is the price of the license?
The e-scooter license in Dubai is free of cost for Downtown areas. However, for other areas, the license costs AED 350. This fee includes the cost of the training session, the test, and the medical certificate.
What is the duration for the license?
The e-scooter license in Dubai is valid for one year. After that, you will need to renew your license if you wish to continue riding your e-scooter in the city.
Who is eligible to get the license?
To be eligible for an e-scooter license in Dubai, you must be at least 16 years old and have a valid UAE ID card or passport. You must also be able to demonstrate that you have completed the training and passed the test.
Can tourists get the e-scooter license in Dubai?
Yes, tourists can also obtain an e-scooter license in Dubai. However, they will need to provide a copy of their passport and a valid visa, as well as meet the same requirements as residents for completing the training, passing the test, and obtaining a medical certificate.
What Inspection checks are required for E scooter License?
Before obtaining a license for an electric scooter in Dubai, you will need to undergo several inspection checks to ensure that your e-scooter meets the safety standards set by the Roads and Transport Authority (RTA). These checks include:
- Visual Inspection: The inspector will check the general condition of your e-scooter, including its lights, brakes, tires, steering, and frame.
- Noise Level Test: Your e-scooter will be tested to ensure that it does not exceed the maximum permissible noise level of 70 decibels.
- Brake Test: The inspector will check the efficiency of your e-scooter’s brakes.
- Speedometer Test: Your e-scooter’s speedometer will be checked to ensure that it is accurate.
- Weight Test: The inspector will check the weight of your e-scooter to ensure that it is within the permissible limit.
These inspection checks are important to ensure that your e-scooter is safe for riding and meets the standards set by the RTA.
Obtaining an e-scooter license in Dubai is a straightforward process that involves attending a training session, taking a test, obtaining a medical certificate, and applying for the license at the RTA office. The license is valid for one year and is free of cost for Downtown areas. To be eligible for the license, you must be at least 16 years old, have a valid UAE ID card or passport, and be able to demonstrate that you have completed the training and passed the test. Tourists can also obtain the e-scooter license by meeting the same requirements as residents.